(From Huffington Post) A complex conjuration that chases away soul-sucking Dementors is the world’s favorite Harry Potter spell.
“Expecto Patronum” topped a list of magical incantations that author J.K. Rowling’s fictional boy wizard and his friends performed.
The hex, which Professor Remus Lupin said in the books even “qualified wizards have difficulty with,” was followed by the object-calling “Accio” and the item-levitating “Wingardium Leviosa” as fans’ most favored.
Bloomsbury Children’s Books ran the poll as part of its “Harry Potter Book Night: A Night of Spells”.
Here are the top 10 spells:
- Expecto patronum – to summon up a Patronus
- Accio – to call an object to you
- Wingardium Leviosa – to levitate objects
- Expelliarmus –to disarm your opponent
- Lumos – to ignite one’s wand-tip to provide light
- Alohomora – to open locked windows and doors
- Avada Kedavra – to bring about instant death
- Sectumsempra – the incantation for one of the Half-Blood Prince’s spells
- Obliviate – to make the subject forget
- Riddikulus – to make a Boggart take on a comical appearance and eventually explode